What is the legal age we can marry?
You must both be over the age of 18 years.
What is a Notice of Intended Marriage?
Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) is a document declaring your intent to marry. It contains essential information about each of you. It is completed and given to me.
The Notice of Intended Marriage should be filled no sooner than 18 months before and no later than one full calendar month before the wedding ceremony.
The NOIM is to be completed using black pen. When filling the NOIM, you need to produce your original Birth Certificate or your Passport if you were born overseas.
What if one, or both of us, has been married before?
If either of you have been previously married you must produce your Divorce Decree Absolute papers prior to the marriage.
If either of you has been widowed, then you must produce the Death Certificate.
What about witnesses?
You must have 2 witnesses. They have to be over the age of 18 years and will sign your registration documents on the day.
What wording in the ceremony is legally required?
The following wording is legally required:
- The wedding ceremony must include the Monitum which is spoken by the Celebrant.
- You must say the words… “I call upon the persons here present to witness that I ………… take you to be my lawful wedded husband”
- You must state your full name at some stage during the wedding ceremony.
What signatures are required at the ceremony?
The Bride, Groom, their 2 witnesses and the Celebrant each sign:
- A marriage certificate which I forward to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages so that your marriage can be registered.
- A certificate that is kept by the celebrant for record keeping purposes.
- A marriage certificate which is presented to the couple.
Where can we get married?
The choice is yours. There are no restrictions but you might want to check with your celebrant to make sure they are comfortable with your decision if it is a little more exotic.
Still more questions?
That's okay, you can call me, Geraldine Lightfoot on 0474 128 302. I can meet you obligation free to discuss any questions.